The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Monday, December 10, 2012

December 10, 2012


Jamie

What a touching goodbye to the Spice Kittens, all of whom found a home with avid watchers of the kitty cam. There was such a tender moment when the mom, Rosemary, licked away the tears of her Foster Dad John. Being able to watch these little lovelies was such a wonderful, nourishing treat over the past little while. I'll miss them a lot and look forward to the next group of kittens.

Shannon

I did a bunch of both relaxing, and cleaning this weekend and one of the things I went through and cleaned was my paint brushes.  Although I haven't used them for years and I'm not sure how much 'cleaner' any of them are here than they were before, one part of the process that I like but don't always do is shape the bristles to while they are still wet to the shape you want them to try in.  I didn't know this until I had painted for years!  It makes such a difference, especially for rounder brushes of the calligraphy-like ones.  I'm glad I took the time to try to sort them out this time.


Photobucket

Suzie

Our retro bathroom just got a little more retro. Our big project this weekend was to put plastic up on our windows to help save heat. Let's just say, we had some accidents along the way. And no, nobody makes harvest gold toilet seats anymore. The first one we bought ended up silver, which we had to take back. This was the best we could do. This took up so much of our energy, we still have two giant windows to do and the weekend is over. I think we are ready to become renters again!

5 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Well done Shannon and wow, that's a lot of paintbrushes! How do you wash them, just with hand soap?

Shannon said...

I used Ivory dish soap and water and let the soak (soaking is totally not recommended by anyone as it can eat away at the glue but these haven't been used in years and I wanted them CLEAN).

I've found the best technique to clean newly-used brushes is actually to rinse the bulk of the paint away under stream of water, and then to swirl the brush in a circular motion on a hard bar of soap, then swirl in on your palm and/or under water (and repeat if necessary) to clean. I just realized you might not be asking that...but if you were.. there you are!

I actually think the harvest gold and wood work well together! And way to go on working to reduce your heating cost! Even if it made for a few...more projects ;)

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I so appreciate that you taught me how to clean paintbrushes, Shannon. I'd say it's one of my "hands-up how-to" memories!

Suzie, I think you guys came up with a great choice. Good for you guys for getting some home-work done. It's so often a pain but it's so good to get done.

I've got a bit of a late add today. I hope to get back to a regular schedule!

Suzie Ridler said...

Great to know you can use regular dish soap to clean the brushes Shannon! And Jamie shared that technique with me while she was visited, so helpful.

Oh good, I'm glad you two think it isn't too tacky the way it is now.

Jamie, that is such a touching moment! Oh my.... It's a little sad and happy at the same time. I do hope they do this again, it seems to have caught the attention of the world. Reg and I were watching them too, they were always fascinating and I can see how people got so attached, especially the owner!

Shannon said...

OH I missed the spice kittens & Pappa John pic! It was totally a treat to see them over the past 2 weeks and I already miss them. They were totally special and I'm glad they have gone on to happy homes.