The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Monday, January 19, 2015

January 19, 2015

Jamie 

Art Day! I am so loving working Art Day into the regular schedule. I'm also loving Carla Sonheim's Year of the Spark class. We've been doing "one-liners", one-line drawings of a variety of subjects. I worked with "bear" yesterday and had so much fun! We were developing our drawings into two-medium explorations. This bear started with a very thick chiseled Sharpie and then was filled in with those bright chalk pastels. Fun!


Shannon

Art Day! It's so exciting to have the practice and I look forward to it every week! I'm also loving this crazy manilla paper scrapbook to draw in, I love how ballpoint pen feels on it, it's so smooth and feels super no-stress to work with.


Suzie

My barbarian was promoted to officer! Not only that, she didn't kill any of her party members. She tried her best to save them from a gelatinous cube and this changeling that pretended to be a treasure chest. Because we are actually learning how to play D&D via the store, it may be time to retire her for a while and start a new character. Although being a demonic barbarian has been so much fun.

6 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Love the photo!!!! So much!!! I have never heard of Carla Sonheim's Year of the Spark class but like the sound of it. Had no idea you could get chiselled Sharpies, going to have to look into that. Fabulous Art Day Jamie and Shannon!

Shannon said...

I love your bear Jamie! What a fun shape to work with and he feels so friendly and wise too! YAY for art day!

Good for you for protecting your party from a gelatanous cube Suzie! And that is awesome you were promoted to officer, super cool! If you start a new character, do you have to work your way up again?

Late add from me :)

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Thanks so much! I just love the bear and the class! Carla's a wonderful, creative and fun instructor. The Facebook group is a bit intimidating - the work is SO good and we've just been doing these little explorations!

Here's a link to the class: http://www.carlasonheim.com/yearofthespark/

I love my bear and I'm glad you guys do too! And Shannon, it's so fun to see Art Day from the other side of the table. I love having it as a practice too!

Suzie, I've always thought the gelatinous cube was the craziest bad guy in D&D! Yay you for pretecting your party. And yay you for leveling up too! WTG!!

What's the inspiration to change characters? So you can learn a new kind?

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

And Shannon, as soon as you describe it I can literally feel that sensation of that kind of pen on that kind of page!

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I mean, paper.

Suzie Ridler said...

That looks like the perfect notebook Shannon and yay for art day!

Can you believe I already dealt with a gelatinous cube? I was so excited and so glad I was not the one who ran into it, LOL.

Sounds like I can keep my character but I have to let her explore another skill. I'm thinking ranger.