The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

July 25, 2015

Jamie 

Yesterday was a big day! I've been really enjoying sharing this Summer Seminar Series. Creative projects are my absolute favourite thing and it was a delight to share the process and possibilities with everyone. I'm so glad that you both could be there!
 


Shannon

I decided to re-read a total favourite book: Shapechangers by Jennifer Roberson. I saw it on the online library system and requested it and was totally engrossed in reading it, then my borrowing period expired! Thankfully Jamie was nice enough to lend me her copy so I could finish it. I was a little worried I wouldn't still enjoy it, but I really did. Phew!


Suzie

I could not bring myself to make jewellery today which is so weird but when my neon paints showed up, I got to painting. They're weird watercolour paints though. They do not mesh with traditional watercolour paints and are thick but when you paint, the paints splits on either side of the brush leaving the middle empty of paints. I had to do a couple of layers. There won't be a lot of variation of tone as a result but I think it works for fun foodie art but it is weird, not what I was expecting. Think it's more for kids than artists but hey, I want my foodie art to be kid-like anyway!

5 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I think your popsicle looks awesome and happy, Suzie! It's always an adjustment with new mediums. I find often with coverage issues, it's the brush that needs looking at. Have you used it with other paints? Maybe these have to be thicker than regular watercolours in order to get the intensity of colour. Yay you for exploring something new.

Suzie Ridler said...

I'm so glad we could both be there with you Jamie! And what I love about the seminar is that it's OK to always come with a different project or if I wanted, a project I have been working on. As you said about creative people, we always have a ton of ideas!

Thank you Jamie! And yes, a totally different approach. I will try more brushes and see if it helps. Oh good point about the thickness and colour.

I think I got jewellery stage fright. I think that happens to me after saying I am going to do something. It's like Creative Stage Fright. If there such a thing?

Shannon said...

I had so much fun at the Creative Projects Seminar Jamie! I love creative projects, and projects of any kind! This really got my organizational and creative mind going full steam ahead and I'm really thinking about my projects in a different, and meaningful way. Thank you so much!

Wow that colour is zingtastic Suzie! I wonder why the paints are so thin, actually watercolours are thing but I see what you are saying here. I wonder what would help. Doing the layers is a good idea, I hope you can find a way to get them to work for ya!

Late add from me :)

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

I wonder what the jewellery stage fright is, Suzie. Is it different than when you create other things?

Shannon, man, I love that series! I'm relieved to hear you enjoyed it this time too. I wonder if I'll ever revisit it. Thanks for bringing it to mind! And, of course, you're welcome :)

Suzie Ridler said...

What an important series that was for us, I am so glad you could borrow Jamie's copy Shannon and that you still liked it. Yay!

I really am not entirely sure what's going with the jewellery making. Everything else I am a little wary of doing but with jewellery I get so excited and then I crash. It's so annoying! I think it's something I have to do early in the day and really give myself time to do but that is so rare that I have that opportunity.