The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

March 1, 2012

Jamie

I'm trying to work some daily reading into my schedule and yesterday opened up Expressive Photography, which got me going on trying to understand 'aperture'. My desk companions helped me play and I feel like I've made some progress on something that generally seems totally opaque to me. I'll be writing about the experience on my blog in a couple of weeks.


Photobucket
Shannon

I can't believe it's already been a month since I first put up my accomplishment calender! It really got me motivated to keep on track and I always looked forward to seeing what I could add each night. There were some new categories that came up as the month went on and I might want to shake up the colour story of the tacks, but overall I found it really fun and kept me inspired. Although after counting up all the ye-haws, there weren't as many as I expected but it's great to have something to gauge next month against. And I will. :)



Under Our Willow Tree

Suzie

Not the most flattering photo of my pendants currently underway. I wasn't super inspired yesterday so I focused on just "finishing off" some pieces. I also came to the realization that my soldering iron sucks. I need to get one that works but don't want to spend the money. But if there is one thing in the world that is true, you have to have the right tools for the job. I just gotta do it.

3 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

I love that you are looking into aperture and figuring how it works. Took me a long time to do that with food and I'm still not entirely sure I am doing it right so way to go!

Shannon, that looks like a ton of accomplishments to me. Had fun chatting yesterday!

Sorry I am grumpy. I've had stomach pains for two weeks now. Hard to be inspired and creative when you feel crappy.

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Suzie! And is it bad to say that it helps to know that even gorgeous photographer you doesn't quite get it? I'm glad I tackled it and at least have a baseline understanding now. I may tackle shutter speed next :)

Shannon, wow, I love that board and the way it's an amazing explosion of colour and accomplishment while also being incredibly systematic! I can see how putting the tacks in and seeing the money show up could be incredibly motivating!

Suzie, I totally do that when I'm uninspired too - shift my attention to what I call the "piddly" work - the editing, the finishing, the sorting. I find that's a great way to ride the creative energy and make progress. I hope you get your soldering iron. (Who knew I'd be uttering those words?)

Suzie Ridler said...

Not bad at all! I have figured some stuff out of intuition and research but mostly I wing it. I think I use shutter speed priority Jamie, if that helps at all. Any other setting, I can't get the pictures I want. Oh thank you! I'm glad you like my photos. :)

Just remember, the more light you let in the camera, the more detailed the image will be. That's how I remember it.

I know, I think Shannon's board is super inspiring and I am amazed at how quickly those $5 bills are showing up.

So glad you also do that Jamie and that it makes sense to get the little piddly work done during that mode. Oh I know, me and a soldering iron?! So weird! There may be one that I end up inheriting which would rock.