The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14, 2012

Jamie

First robin! That always means spring to me. And even though it was beautiful and sunny, I could hear Suzie singing, "Robin in the rain, what a saucy fellow. Robin in the rain, with his boots of yellow."


Photobucket

Shannon

Night at the MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOvies! After the dismal previews of John Carter I was really worried but it turned out to be a heck of a lot of fun, if a bit long. Sadly a bit old fashioned in terms of some of the gender dynamics but also had a couple awesome female characters and dang it was gorgeously styled. Not as good as I initially hoped, but way better than I expected from recent reactions.


Under Our Willow Tree

Suzie

I tried using a real flower to make a pendant with Ice Resin but as I had been warned online, the colour started to quickly come out of the flower. So I have to find a way to preserve the flower before turning it into a pendant... Ugh!

4 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

As soon as I saw your photo, Shannon, I wondered how you found that movie. Good news that it was a bit better than expected. Blech about the gender stuff. When will that be something we never say anymore!

Ooh, what a cool idea, Suzie. And hey, if you lose colour, maybe it's a ghost flower :)

Hey, any readers have any ideas about how to preserve the flower easily?

Heather Plett said...

You can preserve the flower (and retain most of its colour) by burying it in silica gel (that you can get in fine grains, like sand) for a few days. That takes all the moisture out but leaves its colour.

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Heather, thank you for that!

It's brought back an amazing memory for me. Our mom used to have this dark coloured tin that was full of silica gel for doing just that. Every now and then I'd go have a look in it, having totally forgotten what we'd put in, and discover buried treasure! Suzie, do you remember that?

Suzie Ridler said...

Oh that's too funny, I forgot that song for a sec Jamie! Yes, I loved that one growing up. So glad spring is finding you.

Thank you Heather! And that tin brought back memories indeed. Reminded me I have been wanting to do this kind of thing since high school. Mom couldn't find that tin for me back then after she moved out though so I think I will just have to get some myself so I can do this, finally, thanks to all the support and help I am getting!

Shannon, we loved John Carter. There was some gender crap but the lead woman was very impressive and for us it was such a fun night out and had more heart than I was expecting.