The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Friday, March 22, 2013

March 22, 2013

Jamie

This is one of the murals on the wall where we take guitar. We had our third lesson yesterday. And my truly big excitement yesterday was that in the afternoon I found a song I know and love that is made up of chords that we already know!! I pulled out the guitar and played and sang! My voice and the guitar - together for the first time EVER!!! It was such an amazing experience. Just to imagine that 2 weeks ago that was impossible and yesterday I did it!! *beam*

 photo 20130321NewComputerSetUp1_zps49e7da0e.jpg
Shannon

New computer set up! Got the docking station set up (on the left) which is awesome, now I have a USB port for everything that needs USB-ness, and also did the whole raise the screen / add external keyboard (which took ages to clean out). I think it's better, but it's too early to tell. And I forgot this keyboard is mucho noisy (which is fine) but the space bar sticks a bit (a little less fine). But...I'm sure I'll get used to it.


Suzie

I had a huge candy-making disaster yesterday (imagine scorched oranges!) so it meant an extra lot to me to make balsamic vinegar pearls. Yes, I got our my gastronomy kit! And it worked!

6 comments:

Suzie Ridler said...

Shannon, that is quite the set up! Wow! I can tell a ton of work went into that. I had no idea you could replace a laptop's keyboard with another one like that. You are so creative and inventive, I am thoroughly impressed!

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Yay!! I'm so glad that docking station works, Shannon. It looks like you've got a great setup there. I hope it does really well ergonomically for you too!

Suzie, I'm sorry to hear about the scorched oranges! But wow, that picture is so very beautiful! It's actually making my mouth water. What the heck are balsamic pearls? They look amazing!

Shannon said...

omg Jamie that is *SO* exciting that you could play and sing a song you knew - what an amazing treat and incredible feat at 3 weeks into lessons. WOohoo!!!

I'm glad that the gastronomy set is going well Suzie and that picture looks just amazing! What a great rebound from scorched oranges.

The set up is going okay so far - and the other keyboard, it's just from a desktop computer and you literally just plug it into the computer. Not fancy at all. Well, it's so old I needed and adapter, but I had one. :) Most of the work went into cleaning everything! And I'm really happy the docking station is working - thanks so much for that Jamie!

Suzie Ridler said...

Wow, that is a huge step forward Jamie, way to go! You are already playing and singing together, you are amazing. That must have been so much fun!

It is so impressive how you are making things work Shannon. That's great your docking station is working!

The balsamic vinegar has been dissolved in agar agar and then dropped into cold canola oil which instantly gels and turns into these pearls! They are quite robust too. It's so cool.

Shannon said...

Wow your kit has agar agar? I remember them mentioning that in the cake making class as a substitute for gelatin for vegetarians, but they said it was hard to work with (for that purpose at least). This is totally cool Suzie! Total mad scientist stuff!

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Okay, I do feel like I have to say that by "singing and playing" I mean... strum... strum... sing sing.. pause... change chord... str-- oh wait... change chord... strum... sing...pause.

hehe.

And wow, those pearls are awesome! Mad food scientist Suzie!! Love it!!!