The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Friday, March 18, 2016

March 18, 2016

Jamie

Yesterday I had the most amazing experience - introducing a group of girls in Montreal to journaling. It was a joy and an honour and absolutely fascinating. I hope the magical seeds of journaling have been planted.



Shannon


Another day of unpacking. I tackled the rest of the books, which included school texts (eep) and cooking, plus oodles of journals and sketchbooks. I think I left all the challenging book boxes until the end, some weren't too bad but others I felt like I had no idea what to do with. I was too tired to actually feel like I was making good decisions so I just got stuff out of boxes. I plan to do some sorting and shelving on the weekend, hopefully I will have a better picture of what I want to do with everything then.


Suzie

I love working with clay but to wedge/knead this amount took me five times before there weren't any air bubbles. I was sweating into my eyes, had to get help from the teacher... Ugh. Don't think I'll be making another lantern any time soon. That just about killed my shoulders.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

I'm so happy to hear that introducing the girls to journalling was such a wonderful experience Jamie! What an exciting time and such a great way to help girls grow.

Holy Moly Suzie that is some serious clay going on. I had no idea that you were working so big. I do not know how you did it. Pretty cool to make a lantern though, I can't wait to see it all done!

and btw... I wonder how they heck I put the text beside my picture. I wanted to know how to do that for YEARS. No joke.

Suzie Ridler said...

I agree, so exciting Jamie! Amazing how this project is developing.

Wow Shannon, that's a lot of books!

Yes, that was a ton of clay and half of it was recycled so it was tough and dry and OMG, my nemesis.

Shannon said...

Recycled clay? I had no idea that was a thing.

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

Wow, Shannon, you are just doing amazing with not only unpacking but being very mindful about it. It makes total sense that once you hit "too tired" decision-making can wait.

Suzie, that is so impressive and what a ton of work. Do you roll it like dough? What you are creating is amazing! I can't wait to see the lantern.

Suzie Ridler said...

They reuse old clay that was discarded and it gets dry and tough. Best not to waste it but OMG!

We actually smack the clay onto the surface towards us which elongates and thins it out. I cheated and got out one of the giant rolling pins because it was crazy. Then we put it through what looks like a giant pasta maker! Crazy but awesome. Just wish I was stronger.