The Ridler sisters, Suzie, Jamie and Shannon, discuss their creative projects, from challenges to celebrations, and support each other's creative lives.

Friday, September 15, 2017

September 15, 2017

Jamie

Yesterday was a very busy day. I worked throughout, went to the dental hygienist and then met Justin downtown so that we could do some clothes shopping. We both still need some things for the trip!


Shannon

It was an errands day, which always turns into a rest day, but I was okay with that today as I was completely mesmerized by a creepy book I had just started called I'm Thinking of Ending Things. It was a short one, and I just hunkered down and burned through the rest of the book. I would love to recommend it, because it's intriguing, insightful and smart but on the other hand... totally creepy!! I couldn't read it at night, and I certainly hope I can sleep tonight! Plus a bonus: Canadian Author!


Suzie

I did it! I got on the pottery wheel today and it was so exciting. I really feel like 1) I have no idea what I am doing 2) that it feels oddly intuitive 3) I really don't know what I am doing but it was OK that I didn't. I was so caught up in it that I didn't realize the pain I was in. It kicked in later which is just fine. For me that's normal. I was so scared it would hurt so badly while I was doing it that I couldn't do it at all but not the first time at least. It's so amazing to sit and listen to the whirl of the wheel and use your body to press down on the clay and because I'm not strong it happens so slowly and subtly... Pure magic. I can't wait to do more!

3 comments:

Jamie Ridler Studios said...

That's quite the intriguing description, Shannon! You even have me curious about giving it a read - and you know how I am with creepy! I'm so glad you enjoyed it.

Wow, Suzie, that's spectacular. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the experience and were able to do it. I love this picture of what you're creating. It sounds like the experience was mesmerizing.

Suzie Ridler said...

Wow, good for you for being so productive. I feel like I have done zero prep for the trip!

Shannon, I love the sound of that book! I gather it's fiction?

Thanks Jamie. Yes, I can see why people find it so meditative. I felt like I could just stay there. I even dreamed about it last night. Oh man, I don't want to move away from the studio. Once I finish this class I could go in and use the wheel all the time for free.

Shannon said...

Wow, way to work in so much into the day Jamie! I hope that you got some great options for clothes for the trip! This is an awesome photo, so cool so see what you notice out there in the world.

Oh I am so happy for you Suzie! How wonderful to sit at a pottery wheel and make magic happen Sounds absolutely perfect!!

The book is so good, but it's hard to recommend! I wonder if you'd like it, Jamie! And yes, Suzie, it's fiction. I think I will be thinking about this one for quite a while.